NPM Seeding and Scoping - Request For Proposals
Our 2019 call for new Seed and Scope Research proposals has now closed
Ngā Pae o te Māramatanga (NPM) is again developing new seed and scope research that contributes to its research programme and outcomes. We will develop and commence research projects that contribute to our outcomes and vision, by providing a small contestable fund for our researchers (research partner network) that will initiate excellent research that has transformative potential.
We are seeking proposals that support research collaborations between our extensive inter-institutional network of Māori researchers and partners to achieve our collective aspirations. In doing so, we expect projects to be innovative, inspiring, and lead to impact.
Please download and read the NPM Request for Proposals - Seed and Scoping Projects document below for full and further details.
Transformation Through Indigenous Research Excellence
- Ko te Māori e arataki ana i a Aotearoa ki te ao kei mua.
Ko ā mātau mahi rangahau he whakaea i ngā wawata o te iwi Māori kia whai wāhi nui ai ia i roto i ngā whakaritenga mō te whenua katoa, he whakapiki ake i te hiranga o ngā wānangatanga ā te Iwi Taketake, ā, he hura rongoā mō ngā wero nui kei mua i te aroaro o te tangata i konei, i te ao whānui hoki.
- Māori leading New Zealand into the future.
Our research realises Māori aspirations for positive engagement in national life, enhances our excellence in Indigenous scholarship and provides solutions to major challenges facing humanity in local and global settings.
Excellent Research Producing Strategic Outcomes
Our mission is to deliver excellent research that produces strategic outcomes in our interwoven research themes of Whai Rawa (Māori Economies), Te Tai Ao (Natural Environment), and Mauri Ora (Human Flourishing), along with our programme of Te Reo me Ngā Tikanga Māori (Māori Language and Protocols), to contribute to Māori development.
In 2019, NPM has a greater focus on new seed and scope projects contributing to the Whai Rawa and Te reo me ngā tikanga Māori outcomes and themes.
Within a total investment of $500,000 two categories of projects are available:
- Kia Tō Kia Tipu; Seeding Excellence – up to $25,000 for no more than one year duration. To seed development, inform research through literature, engagement and collaboration.
- Kia Ārohi Kia Mārama; Scoping Excellence – up to $60,000 for no more than one year duration. To scope a research project, pilot, investigate approaches, methods, needs and requirements.
All applications for this investment and contestable round must be submitted using the Seeding and Scoping New Research Application Form (NPMSER-2019) and the Budget Workbook Template (‘NPM-BudgetWorksheets_Seed&Scope 2019’). Both of these templates can be downloaded here.
Applications close on 30 June 2019 at 4pm.
1. While we are asking for a research proposal, this is a seeding and scoping project and plan. You do need to be clear of the research idea its foundations and also its potential as a larger project or programme.
2. Multi-organisational or cross-institutional collaboration and leadership on projects is encouraged.
3. All applications will be peer-assessed by the NPM Research Committee to ensure NPM’s requirements for excellence are clear and achieved.
4. Projects can range from 6 to 12 months’ duration and the budget must total no more than $60,000 excluding GST (for scope research).
5. The Budget Workbook Template ‘NPM-BudgetWorksheets_Seed&Scope 2019’ must be completed and submitted along with this application form.